This is the season of face rubbing and eye rubbing a lot of bleary eyes around with the pollen count hitting new highs. The eye area is where we take out biggest hit and tells us first about changes such as tiredness, dark circles, puffy eyes, bags, allergies, irritation, and wrinkles.
Two ways of protecting that delicate area and further preventing the effects is an eye cream and facial massage. You can also look for calming plant – based remedies to use alongside additional medical interventions.
These are my top interventions:
- Honey (non-vegan) can help to desensitize your body’s immune system to other pollens. Plus, it has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that give relief from various symptoms.
- Ginger - Its powerful natural anti-inflammatory property helps reduce nasal swelling and other symptoms.
- Garlic and Onion– a natural antibiotic effect includes quercetin a natural antihistamine helps to reduce symptoms of runny nose and sore throats.
- Nettle – helps with upper respiratory issues such as nasal sneezing, itching congestion
- Apple Cider Vinegar – helps to restore balance in the nutrients in the body by attending to the body’s Ph.
- Chamomile – natural antioxidant, calming antihistamine.
- Steaming with Eucalyptus – to clear congestion, calm inflammation
- Turmeric -Turmeric contains curcumin, a phytochemical with powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory actions that can help relieve several hay fever symptoms. It also helps eradicate allergens from the body, thus aiding faster recovery.
- Green Tea – full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory – can be as a compress also
Even if you are not suffering from the above it is good to add to your regime the above ingredients for greater long-term benefits.
One way of keeping your eye area hydrated and protected is a quality eye cream, but if you do not know where to start then don't panic.
Because the skin is so fragile in the eye area, it often needs an extra collagen and hydration hit, with added hyaluronic acid and vitamins E and C to tighten and smooth the skin’s appearance.
Some ingredients to look out for are :
- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is an antioxidant that your body produces naturally. Your cells use CoQ10for growth and maintenance, in the eye area you can see this as rejuvenation.
- Green tea infusion - the methylxanthines that stimulates skin microcirculation and therefore positively influence the tone and health of the ski
- Aloe Vera -relieve skin irritations and helps hydrate and condition the skin
- Passionfruit -Passion fruit seed oil is known for its softening properties, provides moisture and suppleness and gives the skin a silky appearance.
- Fig - Fig extract can help to clear dark spots and discolored areas on the skin. It can also help to reduce age spots, wrinkles, and uneven skin tone.
- Seabuckthorn -Sea Buckthorn Oil is high in carotene, omega 7 and vitamin A
- Hyaluronic Acid -HA molecules can absorb up to 1000 times more mass of water than itself helping to stretch the skin and make it more elastic.
Facial Massage tools
- Pop them in the fridge or freezer , use the Glow Cryo Globes after you have cleansed your skin.
Apply the Glow Cryo Globes by gently rolling them in a circular motion throughout the orbital eye socket for a few minutes. gently pat the cryo freeze eye globes on the bottom portion of the eye and release resulting in reduced lines and wrinkle and lifted skin
- Great for anti-inflammatory and soothing the eyes and nasal area whilst drawing and draining the congestion outwards.
- The Agate Facial Precision Tool is targeted to soothe, release pressure and stress to the facial system.
- Designed specifically to treat the delicate skin around the eyes, this tool.
- Reduces puffiness and can help reduce eye bags.
- Awakens and rejuvenates the eye area.
- Aids in absorption of eye cream into the skin
- Helps in relaxing acupressure points and massage
- Best to use after the Gua sha
- helps to improve blood circulation.
- clear stuffy sinuses
- reduce puffiness.
- can break down stagnation
- assist with the appearance of fluid retention,
- stimulate lymphatic function,
- release toxins,
- reduce puffiness dark circles and rejuvenate skin cells